Week 8 Topic: Lifelong Learning
We conclude this module with a topic that extends beyond schooling into the real world. You might have heard the phrase lifelong learning, but we will spend some time defining it and exploring what it means. You will also learn why education focuses so much on developing skills to make sure our students become lifelong learning. Learning beyond school is much easier in a digital world, we are all connected by the Internet and are now being described as global citizens, but what does this mean? Also you will be discussing what skills we need to be lifelong learners.
You will need to read chapter 3 from the textbook which looks at this topic in a lot more detail and explores an education policy document.
Continue working on your Blog, which you should be nearing completion.
Assessment Item 2 (Essay) is due next week so make sure this is ready to submit.
The reading from the textbook (Howell, 2012) is Chapter 3.
The additional reading this week is:
You have three videos to watch this week:
Learning Activities (Discussion Board)
This week your learning activities are:
- This week you are going to explore what it means to be a global citizen. Select one of the following organisations and prepare a short presentation on what they do, who they are and some examples of their work. Your choices are; The Global Poverty Project; BandAid; The Earth Day Network and The Oceania Project. You could make a short video, Prezi or ppt and upload it to the discussion board. Watch some of the others that are posted and share your thoughts.
- Any questions or problems? Post them to the discussion board.
Personal Blog (Assessment Item 3)
Just to make it easier, follow this link to WordPress to work on your personal blog. Remember you will need your username and password.
This week you have explored several new topics. Review some of these experiences and see if you can answer these questions:
What does the term lifelong learning mean?
Why is education and schooling so concerned with lifelong learning?
What skills do we need?
What is global citizenship?
How can we ensure that our students become lifelong learners?
What to do next
This week there are a few tasks you should be working on:
- You should be finishing your essay ready to submit on Friday. (assessment 2) See tips for editing and proofing your essay.
- Continue working on your Blog (assessment 3) Have you explored some guidelines and examples for writing reflectively? Like this pdf.
- Are you having any problems? Do you need to ask questions or is everything going well?